You might be asking yourself, “Where’s Catalonia and why are we talking about it?” Well Girona and the Costa Brava are located within Catalonia.
1. Catalonia (aka, Catalunya) is an autonomous, self-governing community within Spain. The Catalan Parlament is one of the oldest in Europe with its origins dating back to 1283, well before the modern Spanish State.
2. Catalan, along with Spanish, is the official language here. While a romance language like Spanish, French, Italian, etc., it is distinctly different. As a distinction for English speakers, it’s good to know that the Spanish language is often referred to as “Castellano” and not “Español”.
3. Catalan cuisine follows many of the traditions of Spanish cooking, but has a unique sensibility all it’s own. The focus is often on simple, fresh ingredients that may sound straightforward (ex. the ‘pa amb tomàquet’ mentioned above), but are filled with flavor and definitely not to miss during your visit!
4. Girona has become the home to many non-European pro cyclists, looking for the perfect location on the continent in which to train when they are not racing. It’s not uncommon to see pros gathering a cafe pre/post ride or out on the routes that have made Girona so famous as a cycling destination.
5. Location, Location, Location. Beyond the picturesque cobblestone streets and ancient walls that Girona is often known for, it is also a town in the perfect location for cycling. That’s why we have our bike tour in Girona! The terrain is moderately rolling, the Mediterranean coast is less than 20 miles away to the east and foothills to the Pyrenees are about 30 miles to the northwest. It benefits from a true Mediterranean climate. And located just 60 miles to the south, Barcelona offers not only a world class cosmopolitan experience, but acts as an easy gateway for North American flights.
- 5 Fabulous Things You Might Not Know About French Wine (insitutravel.com)
- Girona Bike Tour: A Day in the Life (insitutravel.com)
- Our Bike Tour in Provence: A Day in the Life (insitutravel.com)