Warning: This is a bit of a rant about what’s the correct level of exercise?
Ugh. Just read this post about the so called “talk test”. In other words, the gauge for whether or not you are working out hard enough or not. The basic principle is that if you can hold a conversation and don’t have to catch your breath while exercising, then that is the right amount of effort. What nonsense! At least the article mentions that this common exercise guideline might not be right for all people. Thank goodness! It is so frustrating that the bar has to be set SO darn low for people that they think that exercising for a mere 30 minutes, while holding a conversation is sufficient. Has the general population become so out of shape and so lethargic that doing dishes and vacuuming have become workouts!?! Horrible.
Now please don’t misunderstand. We understand that not everyone is physically capable nor should be working out to a degree that it’s unsafe for them. Everyone has to start somewhere. If you’ve been sitting on the couch for the last fifteen years, then sure, ease into it, check with your doctor and go at your own pace. In fact, all of us out there should check with our doctors regularly and make sure that we’re good to go, before we overdo it.
So if you sit around for all your waking hours and count the sleep time too, a mere 7 minutes of exercise will keep someone fit AND healthy. Highly unlikely. Just use some common sense. If you basically don’t move that much while you’re at work, at home and while you sleep, then you exercise for only a few minutes of your day, do you really think that is enough? Even if one exercises 30 minutes per day, the other 23.5 hours of the day you might not be moving much. That means that for only 2% of your day, you’re exercising. 2%. Who would honestly think that 2% of anything will be sufficient when the other lethargic 98% is the norm?But our real gripe with studies that suggest a minimum amount of exercise like the “talk test” is it’s just that a MINIMUM! Have we all become such under achievers just trying to do the absolute least amount of work to get by?!? And have you noticed that the minimum keeps dropping? First it was an hour, then 30 minutes and now there are crazy studies that tell people that they can get by with 7 minutes of exercise per week! Yes, per week!
Again, please don’t misunderstand. We realize that one’s amount of free time heavily dictates one’s ability to exercise. No free time = no ride time. And maybe you only have 30 minutes per day to exercise. Maybe you have even less. Well then, even more reason to make the most of it. Get off the couch and move it!